Remember those days when we used to go to Tulmul on Jeshth Ashtami Mela, after offering bhog to Mata, most of the devotees used to buy loochi as prasad for home and neighbours, some people used to enjoy these with kehwa there only. Yesterday, when it was raining, I decided to prepare loochi. I started collecting the ingredients but there was no maida at home so I decided to use normal flour in place of maida. Follow the following steps if you also want to prepare loochi and refresh your old memories. If you want them delicious and authentic, use maida only.
- 1 kg maida.
- 1/2 cup curd.
- 1/4 tea spoon ajwain (carom seeds).
- Refined oil for frying.
- Clean malmal cloth.
- 1 roller pin and 1 bread board.
- Put maida in a basin and mix carom seeds in it.
- Knead it with whipped curd and water till soft dough is attained. Apply a thin film of oil on dough throughout evenly and cover it with wet malmal cloth along with a lid and keep it aside for 2- 3 hours for fermentation (in summer fermentation will take place in 1/2 hour only).
- After fermentation, heat oil in a frying pan, spread the round chunk of maida on a bread board with a roller pin and start frying.
- As soon as you put the loochi in hot oil, put it upside down and take it out from the pan quickly so that the colour will not change and it should not be crispy.
- Similarly fry all the loochis and put one on the other to make up a heap.
- Enjoy the fresh loochis with kehwa.