Vegetarian Kashmiri cuisine. It is prepared on every important occasion.
- 1 kg paneer (cheese).
- 1 table spoon salt or to taste.
- 2 table spoon mirchi powder (red chilly powder).
- 2 table spoon saunf powder (fennel powder).
- 1 tea spoon saunth powder (ginger powder).
- 1 tea spoon zeera (cumin).
- 1/2 tea spoon kaala zeera (black cumin).
- 1/4 tea spoon hing (asafoetida).
- 4 crushed moti elaichi (black cardamom).
- 4 half laung (cloves).
- 2 tej patte (bay leaves).
- 2 small pieces dalchini (cinnamon).
- 3 crushed elaichi (cardamom).
- 3-4 ladles mustard oil.
- Cut the cheese into big pieces or according to your choice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cheese till the pieces turn brown and put them in a patila, in which cheese is to be cooked, containing 3 glasses of water and salt.
- Put saunf, saunth, tej patte and dalchini pieces in the patila.
- Turn the stove to low flame, put zeera, laung, hing and mirchi powder along with half katori water in the pan containing rest of the oil and stir continuously till dark red colour appears and water evaporates.
- Empty the contents of the pan in patila and cook it on low flame till 2.5 glasses of water evaporates.
- Add moti elaichi, elaichi and kala zeera and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve with hot boiled rice.