- 1 kg monji hakh (kohlrabies).
- 1 table spoon salt or to taste.
- 5 saaboot laal mirchi (dried red chilies).
- 1/4 tea spoon hing (asafoetida).
- 3 ladles mustard oil.
- 1/5 tea spoon (1 pinch) meetha soda (sodium bicarbonate).
- Clean monji hakh, wash it at least three times or as per need, cut the monji (stem) into small slices and keep it aside for sometime to drain off the excess water.
- Heat oil in a cooked till smoke appears and keep it aside for 2 minutes.
- Put monji, (stem slices), salt, and hing in oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on full flame.
- Now add haakh (leaves) and fry them together for 5 minutes with constant stirring on medium flame till water starts appearing.
- Put 2 glasses of water and meetha soda and turn the stove to full flame till it starts boiling vigourously.
- Cover the cooker with lid and cook it up to 5 whistles or till tender.
- Lift the lid quickly and serve with hot boiled rice.